Title of the Practice
- TRUE FRIENDS
The Objective – Books and education play a major role in providing knowledge to people and in many cases opportunities to avail education are lacking while in other cases students don’t have access to books and important reference material. It is impossible for us to help one and all right away, but donating books is something that we can very much do, and this will help a long way in educating underprivileged students. Knowledge shared is, after all, knowledge squared, and books are the means to do so effectively.
The Context- We often overlook the importance of books and how much of a difference they can make, especially in the lives of students. Books help students make sense of the world around them; impart morals and values to them, often without sounding preach; teach them empathy and the difference between right and wrong. It is believed that giving something wholeheartedly translates to personal happiness. In donating books you make other people happy as you make yourself happy.
The Practice- The College started a new imitative ‘True Friends’ in which staff members and students can donate text books, reference books, journals and magazines to the college library. Our college is located in the rural area where most of the students belong to rural background and underprivileged families who may not be able to access all books which are related to their syllabus. We focus on reference books for different subjects and competition magazines as students from underprivileged may easily access these books.
Evidence of Success- This beautiful initiative is publicized not only through the college prospectus given to the students every year but also by the teachers, in course of their regular delivery of the curriculum. Students motivated by their teachers to donate more books so needy and meritorious students can help.
Problem Encountered and Resources Required- Some obstacles have been faced in the implementation of this best practice, which has been in vogue for the past years, and has been going on in a smooth, efficient and well-planned manner. For this practice, with teachers, more number of students also required for donation of books, but most of the students belong to the financially weak families. However, through the tireless efforts of teachers and students volunteers’ number of books donated to the college library.
Title of the Practice
- COMMUNITY AND ADMINISTRATION ASSISTANCE
The Objective- To provide Assistance to the local Community and Administration in all possible manners in the hour of the need.
The Context- The idea behind this is that Institution does not work in isolation. After all, we draw all resources from society and therefore we must repay society and other stakeholders in an appropriate way.
• Being close to the Indo-Pak border, the BSF, Army unit do regular exercises on the college campus during the vacation schedule and all infrastructure and logistic help is provided by the college campus.
• During Lok Sabha and Parliamentary elections, the college campus is given to local administration for conducting election work. Most of the teaching and non-teaching staff helps the administration in various activities such as election rehearsals, SVEEP program or Voter’s awareness program, etc.
•No. of Seminars were held on the above subjects.
• Our students regularly take part in Republic Day and Independence Day celebrations at Tehsil level and have won many awards.
• Our college staff and students are also remaining on the forefront for curbing many social evils, primarily Drug De-addiction, Environment Awareness and Gender Equity campaign has remained in the full swing during. Many awareness programs in the form of public rallies, seminars, poster-making, competitions, street plays etc. have been carried out successfully.
• The college has earned a great reputation among the masses and local administration in the regard. Our staff has won no. of awards in many activities.
Problem Encountered and Resources Required-
The major problem being faced in this regard is that it is very difficult to take masses along with you on such social service acts.